Whether you are on a strict keto diet, a gluten-free diet, or really no diet at all, there’s nothing like a good burger to satisfy, and they can easily be prepared in a delicious yet healthful way.
Another name for these popular “bun-less burgers” is given in the aptly monikered label “jungle burgers,” as In and Out terms them, but you needn’t travel to the shores of Los Angeles or Vegas to get them. They are as close to you as your nearby butcher and your favorite grill.
For your ground beef, you can use low-fat ground sirloin, or ground chuck, but we prefer to use fresh ground beef, made that day from a butcher. It typically has 25-30 per fat but is made from different parts of beef from the same days stock.
The recipe is infinitely flexible, allowing you to “throw in the kitchen sink” as they say, in between the lettuce bun, so let’s get started and fulfill our beefy cravings.
- Calories (per burger) 443
- Fat 35 grams
- Protein 34 grams
- Carbs 4 grams
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1 strip bacon
- 1 tbsp sliced pickled jalapeños
- 1/2 plum tomato
- 1 tbsp mayo
- 1/4 onion
- 1 tbsp sriracha
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 leaves lettuce
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- /4 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 tsp basil
- Make your beef “sticky” by pressing and folding the beef for three minutes. This is important to keep everything together.
- Dice the tomato, onion, bacon and jalapeño finely, so they easily blend into the meat.
- Add all the ingredients (except the butter and the lettuce) to the mix, and again, knead it for a couple of minutes. If you want your onion caramelised, hold this off as well till later.
- Split your ball of meat in half twice and flatten each of the 4 pieces to make very flat patties. Add a tablespoon of butter to the center of two of the pieces of meat and then slap on the non-buttered pieces and seal up the sides. You should end up with two nice pieces for grilling.
- Grill your patties, on a pan or grill for five minutes on each side. If you want the onions caramelised, add them to the grill for the second five minutes.
- Lay each burger between two slices of lettuce, and add additional layers of mayo, tomato, onion and if you prefer, even add a slice of cheese.
These Keto “Jungle Burgers” are not only so-tasty, but they will bring out the Keto Beast within you! For added variety, try adding a dash of cranberry sauce.